Array Ventures Chief Of Staff Role
This is certainly a very exciting role and there is definitely a lot to learn about a job in venture capital. You can learn first hand what it takes for a company to grow from 2 people to 100 people. You can learn why 2 companies with similar ideas don’t result in the same outcome.
While there is a lot to learn, it’s a job where you sow what you reap. If you don’t work hard enough you don’t get anything out of it. Lot of people I come across are surprised by what this job entails and what it takes to succeed. Most everyone is surprised by the “not so fun” work you have to do.
This is a chief of staff role so it’s a role where you help me the General Partner succeed. So you have to help me with projects that I need help with which do not just include deals and diligence. Those are often the last things I do need help with.
While investing isn’t the primary job, we invest in 1 company per month on an average. You will learn a lot by supporting me with activities that eventually help me invest in more companies.
The responsibilities of this role are broad. You would help with some or all of the following activities:
- Identify and source potential investment opportunities.
- Support the existing portfolio (here are some of the companies you’d be working with).
- Conduct market research and help with diligence (depending on your background).
- Build and support the Array Angel Network and Bootcamps.
- Manage administrative housecleaning and schedule meetings.
What I’m looking for
I’m taking our time to find the right person who is:
- Humble and eager to do both fun and not so fun managerial tasks.
- Good with quick communication and keeping projects on track.
- Clear, structured, and critical thinker. Can articulate your thoughts and POV.
- Intellectually curious and deeply immersed in tech.
- Incredibly driven and autonomous. You should be able to come up with your own work.
- Attentive to detail. It’s a good thing if you obsess over presentation and the “small” things because they matter.
- Optimistic and realistic!
- Remote works for part-time but if this ever becomes a full-time role it might be hard (or impossible) to transition if you are in a very different time zone and can’t attend pitch meetings.
Why you might be interested
This isn’t a traditional role. Those that are eager to learn and are considering a future career as a founder or investor would be a good fit. You might be a student or full-time employed professional.
How to apply
If you’re interested in joining, apply here with answers to the following:
- A link to your AngelList, Twitter, and LinkedIn profiles.
- What’s your current job and what do you love about it?
- What do you hope to get out of this?
- Describe a side or creative project you worked on? Did you learn anything from it?
- What spaces within enterprise tech (e.g. dev tools, cloud, security, etc) are you particularly interested in and why?
- If you had $100K to invest in one early stage startup, which one would it be and why?
- I am looking for someone to start working part-time (6–8 hours on average a week) with potential to convert to full-time.
**Thanks to Ryan Hoover for being so thoughtful about this role and letting me use his job description. **